History of The Globe
A very early reference to the original Globe is an appointment and release document dated February 1818 from John Robins to Messrs. Knight and Brant. In the same year Charles Brant is listed in Parson and Bradshaw"s trade directory as a joiner and builder in Gungate Street, the man perhaps responsible for the construction of the original pub on this site.
Mrs Hannah Weston is recorded in a copy probate document with reference to the pub and, in Pigot"s Directory of 1828-9, William Weston is listed as publican of the Townshend"s Arms on Gungate Street, a name commemorating George Townshend who, in 18th century, owned the Moat House in Tamworth. Son of Viscount Townshend of Raynham, he enjoyed a distinguished military career in which he saw active service as the battles of Dettingen, Fontenoy and culloden. As one of James Wolfe"s brigadiers during the 1759 siege of Quebec, Townshend assumed commend of the army when Wolfe was killed and accepted the surrender of the city.
Formerly licensee of the Bell Inn, William Weston sold homebrewed ales in the pub which, by mid-1840"s, was trading as the Globe Tavern, a name associated with Portugal and the wine trade.
Surveyor and civil engineer Richard Allum was running the Globe Tavern in the 1840"s. Competition for trade in Gungate Street was intense with the neighbouring Star Inn and the Golden Cup Inn almost opposite. There was also the original Star Inn further towards Coleshill, the Saracen"s Head and of course, the Bell Inn. Following the 1830 Beerhouse Act, a few more watering holes would also trade on Gungate Street, including the Carpenters" Arms and the Leg of Man. The latter evolved into the Price of Wales.
In the late 1860"s and throughout much of the 1870"s the Globe Hotel was run by William and Fanny Mellot. Born in Yoxhall in 1813, William was already a resident of Gungate Street. He had moved into Tamworth and, living close to today"s Sir Robert Peel public house, worked as a weaver whilst his first wife Dorothy was a milk dealer.
In February 1898 the Globe Tavern was sold at an auction held in the Peel Arms Hotel. It was acquired by the Aston-based Frederick Smith Ltd.
The brewery commissioned a new Hotel to be erected on the site and appointed Walter Graham as tenant in 1901. The son of a saddler, he grew up in Lichfield Street a few doors from the Tamworth Arms.
William Dormer was licensee for a short spell during the Edwardian period. He spent the World War One years in charge of the Market Vaults before moving to the Tweeddale Arms Close to the town"s railway station. He was a highly respected gentleman of the town. Indeed, he was a councillor for Tamworth and became Mayor in 1925.
In the inter-war years the Globe Inn was headquarters for many social clubs. The local lodge of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes used to meet in the upstairs club room. With a membership of 14 including a Major Godfery, an air rifle club also used to assemble here. The Globe Inn had a very impressive bowling green. A cigarette case found in 86 by Bolehall Stephen Atkins had the inscription "Globe Bowling Club Season 1923" won by W. Dickinson. The Dickinson family used to live further up Gungate in one of the cottages next to the Dog Inn.